Because I’m feeling mellow and homesick, I’ll make a list of things I wish I’d thought to bring over here with me when I left Indonesia 5 years ago:
- My good, old blanket that my mum bought me many years ago and that my brother back home said he hadn’t seen for a long time;
- Pictures of my mum (because my memory of the way she looked is fading);
- Pictures of me from when I was a toddler;
- The carved, wooden jewelry box with all my mum’s jewelry that she left me when she died (no gold or diamonds in it, but there is a really special Pearl Pendant with some upscale pot leaf earrings);
- My copy of Totto-Chan: The Little Girl at the Window (reading that book always makes me feel happy).
Also, I’m jealous of everyone who still has a mother and of other Indonesians living abroad who receive a care package from their family members back in Indonesia every now and then (I never did).
Things to be grateful about:
- I have an awesome husband;
- My computer has been behaving ever since it got a new processor;
- I can take pretty pictures and make pretty things;
- I’m not broke;
- I have an awesome husband.