- IKEA Product or Cheese? | Online Quiz | Mental Floss
I don’t know much about cheese but I’ve been to IKEA enough to score 73%. The average score was 54%.
- Graphic: How to turn a dead whale into a museum display – The Globe and Mail
It’s going to take at least two years for the dead beached whale from Trout River, Newfoundland to become a museum display at the Royal Ontario Museum.
- This is who you should mute on Twitter | The Verge
I’m not afraid to unfollow or not to follow back so I don’t need the mute button. It’s a different story on Facebook. I rarely unfriend but I unsubscribe a lot.
- Re-Thinking the Game of Monopoly | Capitally | Big Think
I think playing Monopoly by the rule explained in this article would make me hate the game even more.
- Craving Italian? Set Sail to this Far-Flung Indonesian Island : Condé Nast Traveler
I don’t know what to think of this. Indonesian food is so good! All the tourists who go there for Italian food will miss out on something wonderful.
- Quiz: How many of these 80s album covers do you recognise? | Music | theguardian.com
My husband thought I’d do better on an 80s album sleeve quiz than the 90s one. He wasn’t completely wrong. I got 6 out of 15!
- Five Things Every Smart Traveler Should Do in May : Condé Nast Traveler
Go to Europe? I’m there! (I wish.)
- Meet Mega Ran, Your New Favourite Videogame-Oriented Rapper
If you’re into Hip Hop and videogames.
- You Can Close The Studio, Amazon Patents Photographing On Seamless White – DIY Photography
This made me go all “WTF?!?”
- The masked men and women of 'Star Wars' tell their stories in 'Elstree 1976' | The Verge
A documentary about the masked bit players in the original Star Wars film, looking for backers on Kickstarter.
- Quiz: can you identify these world cities from their logos? | Cities | theguardian.com
I got 6 out of 10. The average is 4/10 so not too shabby!
- A Sherpa’s Final Moments – NYTimes.com
A video footage of the Mount Everest sherpas made by one of them shows a glimpse of them 30 minutes before they were killed in an avalanche last month. Sad, as is the rest of the report.
- How to stop a wedding
A pretty elaborate howto with what seems to be custom vector illustrations. Favourable results not guaranteed.
- Our Sun Has a Sister – Megan Garber – The Atlantic
This is mildly interesting. 110 light-years away, eh?
- 10 Hotel Secrets from Behind the Front Desk – Neatorama
Note to self: Don’t drink from hotel glasses. Maybe use the disposable cups instead? Not sure if Pledge is safe for human consumption.
- Could You And Your Partner Pass A U.S. Immigration Marriage Interview?
Don’t think I had to go through an interview to immigrate to Canada. Just a lot of forms to fill in.
- Trout River blue whale carcass on the move – Newfoundland & Labrador – CBC News
Kind of disappointed that the dead whale simply deflated instead of exploded, though happy for the locals.
- What if Sanitary Pad Ads Didn't Use Blue Fluid? – Olga Khazan – The Atlantic
Because the real thing is neither glamorous nor blue.
- How Roger Christian helped build 'Star Wars' out of scrap | The Verge
Turns out the first light saber was made of a Graflex flash gun. I think we have a Graflex flash gun! Light saber, here I come!
- Proper WordPress Filesystem Permissions And Ownerships | Smashing Magazine
Been wondering about this while cleaning/tidying up all the junk in the back end.
- They’re fierce, furry and ready to protect China
Who needs super soldiers when you have a troop of trained monkey soldiers. Like, for real.
- It came from the faucet – Boing Boing
An interesting post about the microorganisms in our tap water, including the brain-eating amoebas.
- Tindie is the easiest way to buy and sell indie hardware.
It’s like Etsy for DIY gadget nerds.
- How to Find Your Star Wars Name
I’ve decided that mine would be F’irdda Bubbo Stardoze. It’s got a nice ring to it.
- Quiz: What Genre Would The Movie Version Of Your Life Be?
I got “Indie Drama”. Sounds about right. I take it that means it would be a hard sell.
- Quiz: What Kind Of Person Are You Actually?
I got “Neutral Good” because, as it turns out, I’m like Jake the Dog from Adventure Time! Could’ve been worse.
- Just Delete Me | A directory of direct links to delete your account from web services.
You know how hard they are to find most of the times.
- This gorgeous aluminum Nintendo Entertainment System could be yours
Retro, yes, but “gorgeous”? I actually find it kind of ugly. But then again, I’m not a gamer.
- MLKSHK Shutting Down
I finally signed up for an account last month and now it’s shutting down?
- What the Internet Sounds Like
Apparently it sounds a lot like Sigur Rós. Who knew.